Saturday, October 17, 2015

Introducing a League: Free Candy!

Welcome to the intro for my Yahoo free hockey league!  I never watch hockey, but a buddy of mine who plays baseball and football with me asked if I'd join and I said yes.  Last year I stumbled and bumbled to a third place finish.  This year I was ready - but missed the draft and now think it'll be more of the same (though with a better idea of who to target!)

Years active: 2
League Type: Yahoo, Snake, Redraft with 14 Teams
Divisions: 2
Playoffs: 2 division winners and then top 6 teams afterwards
Scoring: Head to Head Categories, and they're kind of random - Goals, Assists, Points, Penalty Minutes, Power Play Points, Shots on Goal, Face Off Wins, Hits, Goals Against Average, Saves, Save Percentage
Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, D, G, G, 5 Bench, 2 IR, 1 NA
Depth of the League: Deep - the top guys on the wire right now are James Wisniewski and Matt Moulson.  There are only backup goalies in free agency, no starters.
How have I done: 3rd place last year.

Hockey is...hard.  As I said, the guy last year asked me (and my wife) to play.  We both joined, but she got sick of the scoring and sick of Yahoo and went inactive like 2 weeks in.  I stuck it out, and despite not a lot of trading I liked it because people are fairly active and seem to know their stuff.  I knew I'd make the playoffs but I was surprised to make it all the way to the 3rd place game given some of the quality opponents in the league.  Now a year wiser, I'm trying to figure out how to make this league work for me.  I already traded an okay defensemen and center for Patrick Kane (who is a C/RW and one of the top 20 players in the game).  I'm tempted to trade my top goalie (Ryan Miller) as well for someone high scoring in hopes of crushing the 8 offense categories and just phoning it in in the three goalie ones.  This should be a fun one to watch as I work my way through fantasy hockey's ins and outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment